Academic and Career Planning
Why Academic and Career Planning (ACP)?
Prior to an explanation of “what” this initiative is…let’s begin with the “why.” Perhaps it can be best summed up with a quick look at the D.C. Everest Area School District Mission statement:
"D.C. Everest Area School District, in partnership with the community, is committed to being an innovative educational leader in developing knowledgeable, productive, caring, creative, responsible individuals prepared to meet the challenges of an ever-changing global society."
While we treasure the time we have with our students, we clearly understand our role in preparing all students for success in their lives beyond D.C. Everest. Academic and Career Planning is intended to equip students and their families with the tools necessary to make more informed choices about postsecondary education and training as it leads to careers.
ACP is both a Process and a Product
ACP is an ongoing process to actively engage students to:
- develop an understanding of his or her self
- create a vision of his or her future
- develop individual goals
- prepare a personal plan for achieving the vision and goals
Students will leave D.C. Everest with a product that documents and reflects students’:
- coursework, learning and assessment results
- post-secondary plans aligned to career goals & financial reality
- record of college and career readiness skills