District HistoryOur school district was consolidated in 1950, and after nearly two years of combined efforts on the part of Administrators, School Board Members, and interested citizens in the area, a Union High School District, for bonding purposes, and Common School District #1 were organized. Since the original consolidation, Hatley joined the district in 1961 and the Town of Easton in 1962.
D. C. Everest High School is a relatively young school, opening it doors to students in the fall of 1953, with a 9-12 enrollment of 388 students. The first newly constructed elementary school was completed in Rothschild in 1961. In 1963, with crowded conditions in the Everest Junior-Senior High School (now the Junior High), an addition provided for a junior high wing and additional shop facilities. At the same time the Weston Elementary School was built and a wing added to the existing Schofield Elementary School.
In the mid 1960's, it became evident that a new school facility was needed. In October 1966 the community approved the purchase of 63 acres of land at a cost of $105,000. Initially the thought was to build a new middle school; however, the school board later decided to build a new senior high school. An active citizens committee convinced the public that the board's plan was too costly and a better structure could be built. In January 1968, voters turned out to defeat a proposed $4,950,000 building by a count of 3,513 to 501. In April 1968, after much discussion and revision, a $4,000,000 structure was approved by a vote of 2,173 to 1,847. That started the largest building program in the history of our district. The final cost for the new senior high school was $4,325,327. The additional cost was partially funded through private donations. The official dedication took place on September 20, 1971, even though the school opened in the fall of 1970. The school was not completely finished at this point as the field house and auditorium were completed while classes were in session. Total district enrollment had grown from 1,668 students in 1953 to 4,225 in 1971. Grades 9-12 had grown from 338 students in 1953 to 1,325 during the same period.
The High School was named after David Clark Everest (1883-1955) who was the President and General Manager of Marathon Paper Mills. Mr. Everest was influential in the growth of the community and promoted educational opportunities.
In the mid 1970's, the growing needs of the district resulted in two new elementary schools. Evergreen Elementary (cost $1,236,000) was dedicated in September 1976 and was the first district school to utilize the open classroom concept. In 1979, Riverside Elementary (cost $1,800,000) was built in the Town of Ringle. Also, additions to the Senior and Junior High and Schofield Elementary were constructed.
In 1990, the district approved a $3,600,000 proposal for additions to various buildings including Hatley, Riverside, Weston, and Evergreen Elementary schools, the Junior and Senior High schools, and remodeling of Schofield Elementary.
In February 1996, the district approved funding of the Greenheck Field House. Total project cost was $3,600,000 of which $1,995,000 were public funds and approximately $1,600,000 were private contributions. Greenheck Field House opened in January 1998 adding a new dimension to the quality of life in the Everest area and to the academic and physical education of our children. The facility houses additional classrooms for the high school, an Olympic ice rink, a 3-court gymnasium, two racquetball courts, a weight room, a fitness balcony, and a concession stand.
The district approved a $26,595,000 referendum in February 2000 to build a new 6-7 middle school ($19.2 million) and for remodeling and additions to the junior high ($1.5 million) and senior high ($4.8 million). The D.C. Everest Middle School opened in September 2002. The project realigned grade levels to elementary (K-5), middle school (6-7), junior high (8-9), and senior high (10-12) alleviating over-crowding in the elementary schools and junior high.
In February 2005, citizens passed an $18,955,000 referendum to build an additional elementary school at the Middle School site and to construct additions and undertake maintenance, repair and remodeling projects at various school district buildings and sites. Mountain Bay Elementary School opened September 2006.
A $4,000,000 referendum passed in February 2007 to remedy a budget shortfall brought on by rapidly increasing enrollment and a funding system that did not allow the district to levy for the actual number of students. The referendum authorized the district "to exceed the revenue limit specified in Section 121.91, Wisconsin Statutes, by $1,500,000 for the 2007-08 school year and by an additional $2,500,000 (for a total of $4,000,000) for the 2008-2009 school year and each year thereafter for recurring purposes."
The district's enrollment as of January 2011 is 5,693 students.
caring, creative, responsible individuals.
(715) 359-4221 | 6300 Alderson Street |
Developing knowledgeable, productive, caring, creative, responsible individuals.
(715) 359-4221 | 6300 Alderson Street |